A 16-year-old student from the University of the Philippines (UP) Rural High School won as the country’s sudoku grandmaster for the second straight year.
The winners at the 11th Philippine Sudoku Super Challenge (PSSC) led by champions Candice Renee Beatrice Solidarios (standing 7th from left), Vicente Raphael Chan (standing 2nd from right) and Enzo Rafael Chan (front row 2nd from left) together with MTG president Dr. Isidro Aguilar (far left), SM City North EDSA assistant mall manager Michael Vincent Uy (2nd from left), MTG adviser Myrna Agtarap (standing 3rd from right) and head of jurors Arvie Ubarro (far right). Photo courtesy of MTG
Candice Renee Beatrice Solidarios, a Grade 11 UPRHS student, bested 35 other regional winners in the Grandmaster category and took home P60,000 in the national finals of the 11th Philippine Sudoku Super Challenge (PSSC), organized by the Mathematics Trainers Guild Philippines (MTG) and SM Supermalls, held at SM City North Edsa’s Skydome on January 28. She won as sudoku grandmaster last year.
Solidarios was followed by Ralph Joshua Sarrosa, who won first runner-up and P40,000; Errol John Suarez, Aquinas University of Legazpi, second runner-up, P20,000; Gerrick Spencer Limsiy, Grace Christian College, third runner-up; and Alec Pius Machacon, University of San Carlos, fourth runner-up.
The winners and prizes in other categories are:
Sudoku Wizard (For High School Students)
- Champion (P50,000) – Vicente Raphael Chan, Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- First runner-up (P30,000) – Jonathan Conrad Yu, Philippine Christian Gospel School
- Second runner-up (P20,000) – John Joseph Gabata, Dr. Yanga’s College Foundation
- Third runner-up – Romeo Dane Melendrez, Regional Science High School III
- Fourth runner-up – Kirsten Dominique Chan, Bayanihan Institute
Sudoku Whiz Kid (For Elementary Students)
- Champion (P20,000) – Enzo Rafael Chan, Bayanihan Institute
- First runner-up (P10,000) – Louisa Jean Cabugao, Akle Elementary School
- Second runner-up (P5,000) – Kyn Achilles Maligsay, Immaculate Concepcion Academy
- Third runner-up – Desiree Regine Go, Philippine Christian Gospel School
- Fourth runner-up – Renise Lim, Cebu Eastern College
The sudoku winners will represent the country in the 2017 World Sudoku Championships in India and 11th BRAND’s Sudoku Thailand International Open, according to MTG president Isidro Aguilar.
Simultaneously held in the same venue during the sudoku competition was the inaugural 1st MTG-SHARP-SM Family Math Quest national finals where parent-child tandems solved mathematical problems as a team.
The winners in the 1st MTG-SHARP-SM Family Math Quest are:
Grade 1 Division
- Champion – Ronaldo So and Reilyn So, St. Jude Catholic School
- First runner-up – Celie Kristen and Marlyn Mercado, Lyndale Academy
- Second runner-up – Matt Justin and Geoffrey Sy, St. Jude Catholic School
Grade 2 Division
- Champion – Jeric and Yuan Jericho Tizon, Calbayog East Central School
- First runner-up – Sherwin and Myles Spencer Uy, Philippine Cultural College-Main
- Second runner-up – Ivy Rozina and Xavier Blue Castro, St. John’s Institute