By Edd K. Usman
South Korean tech giant Samsung Electronics has opened a “new era” for premium smartphones as it introduced to the global stage and the local market the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ smartphones.
Samsung introduced the high-end devices after the debacle arising from the ill-fated Galaxy Note 7, which it recalled worldwide because of its batteries exploded and caught fire.
Rhinn Piczon, head of business unit for IT and mobile of Samsung Philippines, said during the local unveiling at the City of Dreams Manila that the phones will raise the bar for smartphones much higher.
Starting on April 17 until April 29, pre-order of the S8 and S8+ can already be made in the Philippines, with the early birds receiving some freebies.
Those who will make a pre-order are going to get a free wireless bottle design speaker being sold for P5,099; registering on mySamsung app will give users of Galaxy S8 and S8+ access to exclusive privileges like airport lounge access, free coffee from a partner concessionaire, among others.
Barring any hitches, the new smartphones will become available by April 20 in stores nationwide. The Galaxy S8 will retail at P39,990 while the Galaxy S8+ will be sold at P45,990.
What would draw consumers, aside from loyal Samsung lovers, to the latest offerings? The company is banking on at least seven built-in features of the new phones:
1. Infinity Display. The Galaxy S8 and S8+ boast of a infinity display at 5.8″ and 6.2″, respectively.
2. Excellent Camera. They both sport a 12MP Dual Pixel camera with F1.7 aperture, allowing for stunning photos in low-light situations while its multi-frame technology captures crisp and clear photographs regardless of subject. At the back is an 8MP shooter.
3. IP68 Water and Dust Resistant. Both devices have received certification of IP68 water and dust-resistant. It means no worries if use underwater up to 1.5 meters for 30 minutes. Aside from that, the S8 and S8+ are dust-tight, an assurance that no foreign object can penetrate them like sand, dust, or soil.
4. Best Security. Users do not have to worry with security either because they have triple user-identification features using an Iris Scanner, Face Recognition, or Fingerprint Scanner that protect private and personal data as well as other files. Also embedded is a Secure Folder for further protection of users’ most sensitive information.
5. Seamless Multitasking. There is no problem with multitasking with its 10nm mobile processor for optimized energy consumption. The S8 and S8+ still come with fast charging and wireless charging capabilities.
6. Intelligent Personal Assistant. Not to be outdone by its rivals, Samsung debuted on the flagship S8 its first Intelligent Personal Assistant named Bixby, an in-house voiced-based virtual assistant that scales up productivity as it innovates users’ way of interacting with their phones. Powered by artificial intelligence (AI), Bixby’s complete and concise processing allows a series of tasks to be completed with a single command or image. S8 has pre-installed apps that will run with Bixby.
7. Expanded Ecosystem. With Galaxy S8 and S8+ one’s mobile experience can still be expanded through a wide multitude of accessories, one of them the new Samsung DeX to usher in a mobile desktop experience as the smartphones can be connected to even a TV monitor, the Gear 360 to immortalize the world around, and the improved Gear Virtual Reality with controller to fully immerse the user in the virtual world.