PNoy urged to issue orders for customs modernization program

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Bagong Henerasyon party-list representative Bernadette Herrera-Dy, through House Resolution 2577, urged Aquino to enact and promulgate the appropriate executive issuance to implement the CRM program. “The government must institutionalize more effective, practicable and viable measures to curb and suppress smuggling, preferably at no cost to the government. One of the more effective ways to do this is the adoption of the CRM Program,” she said in a statement. Herrera-Dy explained the CRM basically consists of the following: establishment of the Customs Domain System (CDS); expansion of the Bulk and Break-Bulk Program; privatization of the Non-Intrusive Container Inspection System (NCIS); empowering the Post Entry Audit Group (PEAG); and implementing Republic Act 10143 which mandates the establishment of the Philippine Tax Academy. The CDS is particularly intended to intercept, through the core technologies of computer, radio frequency and surveillance systems, any vessel, aircraft, transaction, or anything that enters the customs territory. Regarding the PEAG, Herrera-Dy said it must be empowered with the suitable technological platform to supply it with sufficient financial data and other critical information as a validation point for its audit forms. “As to the NCIS, it must be privatized through a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) initiative to ensure its continued viability and minimize obsolescence,” Herrera?Dy said. Herrera-Dy said the Bulk and Break-Bulk Cargo Clearance Enhancement Program, meanwhile, is a cargo surveying program currently covering only 65 percent of the dutiable volume of the Bureau of Customs and must, therefore, be expanded to include the remaining 35 percent thereof, consisting of containerized cargoes. Herrera-Dy said the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of RA 10143 must be promulgated as soon as possible, through an inter-agency task force convened for the purpose by the Department of Finance, to effectively carry out the reforms. ]]>

Facebook Comments

Latest Posts

Archives