[/caption] NICP, composed of 45 ICT councils, federations and organizations from various cities and provinces in the Philippines, is one of the signatory of a global statement for the swift expansion of the ITA signed by 64 associations across 27 countries and 2 regions. According to NICP chair Jocell Batapa-Sigue, the ITA expansion will have a major positive impact in the development of ICT software and services industries in the Philippines as she cited the latest report of the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF) titled ?The Benefits of ITA Expansion for Developing Countries?. The report indicated that the ITA and ITA expansion will benefit developing countries in five principal ways:
- Lower ICT costs facilitates diffusion and adoption of affordable ICT products and services which boosts productivity and thus enhances economic growth;
- By lowering the price of key inputs, the ITA has undergirded development of burgeoning ICT software and services industries in many developing countries, including India, Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines;
- Boosting exports of ICT products and services;
- Contributing to the competitiveness of developing countries manufacturers?; and
- Promoting innovation in developing countries? ICT sectors.