Cauayan City in Isabela province said it is now inching closer to becoming a full-fledged digitally enabled city through the use of information and communications technology (ICT).
The city has tapped local telco Globe Telecom to bring to life several of its IT initiatives, which include:
- WiFi-enablement of key public locations and mobile libraries;
- SMS management platform to augment DOST?s Juan Time infrastructure for streamlined communications across barangays;
- SME Day to showcase local digital solutions for entrepreneurs; and automated
- School enrollment via Klaseko, a startup company which provides schools a platform for online enrollment and tuition payment.
?A major initiative of the City Government of Cauayan, Isabela is incorporating ICT to enhance our performance in providing basic services to our dear Cauaye?os,? said Cauayan City mayor Bernard Faustino M. Dy.
Hailed by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) as the first ?smarter city? in the country, Cauayan has been making waves for putting in place ICT infrastructure in public service and governance.
ICT-based technologies being implemented currently by Cauayan City include the following:
- Systematic and computerized police clearance process;
- Mobile library with laptops and Internet connection;
- Cauayan City Patrol;
- Electronic Government Application System or eGAPS, a mobile app for iOS or Android-based phones containing tourist information;
- Cauayan City Identification System which serves as a valid government ID; and
- An interactive government website featuring e-services.