A new assistant secretary in charge of the country’s two flagship ICT projects has assumed his post at the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT).
Felino O. Castro V was designated as assistant secretary for the National Broadband Plan Backbone and Free Wi-Fi Internet Access in Public Places by DICT secretary Gregorio Honasan through Department Order No. 008 signed last July 19, 2019.
As assistant secretary, Castro will lead the DICT’s efforts in the following areas:
- Public access and connectivity
- Free WiFi/Internet Access Program in Public Places
- Regional Operations Coordination Service, and its component divisions
- Infostructure Management Bureau, and the following component divisions:
- Core ICT Infrastructure Management Division
- Data Center Management Division
- Government Online Services Division
Before his current role, Castro served as director for the Disaster Response and Management Bureau of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
He also held the position as head of the DSWD’s ICT Management Service from 2011 to 2016. He also worked for five years at the Office of Civil Defense.
Castro has a degree on agriculture from the University of the Philippines Los Banos and a Master’s degree in Public Management from the Development Academy of the Philippines.