In a bid to hasten its recovery, phone maker Nokia officially released in the Philippines on Tuesday, Oct. 1, the Nokia Lumia 1020, a handset touted by some as more like “a high-end camera with smartphone features” rather than the other way around.
Banking on its PureView technology including a second-generation 41 megapixel sensor, and six-lens Carl Zeiss optics with optical image stabilization, the Nokia Lumia 1020 boasts of producing some of the sharpest images possible by any digital camera.
Available in yellow, white and black colors, Nokia Lumia 1020 is priced at P35,650 and will hit store shelves starting Oct. 11.
The device is bundled with a free Nokia Camera Grip valued at P4,000 through Nokia Stores, authorized retailers, and local operators with data plans.
Executives unveiled the Lumia 1020 at the Art Gallery of the Ayala Museum in Makati City where a photo exhibit of images taken from the device were also put on display.
“The Nokia Lumia 1020 is the first smartphone to exceed many standalone digital cameras in terms of image quality capture ensuring users always have that perfect photo — day or night,” said Gary Chan, head of Nokia’s marketing arm Pan Asia.
Chan explained the Lumia 1020 has reinvented image zoom using a new application called Nokia Pro Camera that enables people to shoot first and then zoom later to discover and re-discover stories that contain more detail than the eye can see.
The Nokia Pro Camera app is designed to specifically cater to non-photographers by simplifying features usually reserved for professional cameras and teaches users how to take better photos through an interface that visually demonstrates how settings will affect the final photo or video results.
“The Nokia Lumia 1020 marks a giant leap forward in smartphone photography. With its 41 megapixel sensor and Nokia Pro Camera app, the Nokia Lumia 1020 boosts creativity and makes it easier to shoot, edit and share pictures with unrivaled clarity,” Chan said.
Chan also said Lumia 1020’s unique dual capture feature simultaneously takes a high resolution 38 megapixel image for editing and creates a 5 megapixel picture that is easy to share on social networks with Windows Phone 8.
Besides delivering clear pictures even in low light conditions, the Nokia Lumia 1020 also captures blur-free videos with stereo sound via the Nokia Rich Recording feature, which handles sound pressure levels six times louder than conventional smartphone microphones.
- Operating system: Windows Phone 8
- HERE location and mapping services: Free global HERE Maps and HERE Drive+; Free HERE Transit available in the Store
- Display: 4.5″ AMOLED WXGA (1280×768), 2.5D sculpted Corning Gorilla Glass 3, PureMotion HD+, ClearBlack, high brightness mode, sunlight readability, super sensitive touch, Nokia Glance Screen
- Battery: 2,000 mAh battery, wireless charging supported via cover
- Processor: 1.5 GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4
- Main camera: PureView 41 MP with optical image stabilization, Resolution: 7712 x 5360. 6-lens Carl Zeiss optics, high resolution zoom 3x. Xenon flash for still images, LED flash for video. 1080p 30fps video recording. Includes Nokia Pro Camera and Nokia Smart Camera.
- Front-facing camera: HD 1.2 MP wide angle
- Memory: 2 GB RAM, 32 GB internal memory; 7 GB free SkyDrive cloud storage